Pages

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Red Velvet Cake

A couple of months ago I bought myself The Hummingbird Bakery book for a tenner in Sainsbury's and ever since then it has been a blur of cupcakes and frosting. I am totally addicted. I  have never bought any cakes from the bakery itself but if the cakes I have made from this book are anything to go by it is most definitely worth a visit.

I've tried quite a few of the recipes but my favourite so far is Red Velvet. It has buttermilk (halfway between milk and yoghurt) and white wine vinegar in, which gives it an almost sour taste. It goes fabulously with the cream cheese frosting and means it's  not over sweet. It also has rather a lot of red food dye and a little cocoa powder which gives it a deep red colour (hence Red Velvet).

I first made this cake to take to a meal with my boyfriend's family and it went down a treat. So much so that his Mum asked me last week if I would make another one for her to take to a friend's this Friday... So here it is in the making!
Love my big red Kitchen Aid!
I used a different food dye this time and it isn't quite as red as I'd like but it will still taste yummy. Tomorrow.. Frosting! : )

Jenni x

No comments:

Post a Comment